Cedarfield History, Then and Now
Pinnacle Living’s History
Since its humble beginnings in 1948, Pinnacle Living, formerly known as Virginia United Methodist Homes, Inc., has grown from a single community serving seniors to multiple communities spread across the Commonwealth of Virginia. The establishment of the Hermitage Richmond and the Snyder Memorial Home in 1948 began our mission. In 1962, Hermitage Northern Virginia opened its doors, followed by Hermitage Eastern Shore in 1966. The Lydia Roper Home was gifted to the corporation in the 1960s. In 1964, the Roanoke District of The United Methodist Church recognized Hermitage Roanoke as part of our family of communities.
Over the next 25 years, growth and expansion continued. During the 1990s, dramatic changes in the expectations, needs, and demands of our residents began a whole new era for retirement communities. Pinnacle Living responded by developing and opening Cedarfield and WindsorMeade Williamsburg, helping us serve more of the growing senior population more than ever before. In 2018, Hermitage Eastern Shore ownership was transferred to Commonwealth Senior Living and our operation of the Lydia Roper Home ended in 2019.
Our new name, Pinnacle Living, reflects our mission of enriching life’s journey for those who seek independence, combined with a secure plan for the future. We are proud of our heritage and continue to operate as a mission-driven organization that welcomes people of all faiths. Our new name positions us for the future as we strive to better serve the next generation.
How did Cedarfield begin?
On a lovely wooded site on Three Chopt Road near Gaskins Road and I-64, a $62 million development would emerge on 90-acres of forested land, bordering Henrico County’s Deep Run Park. The land was made available by Mr. and Mrs. Matthew T. Blackwood. The Blackwoods had lived on the site for more than 30 years and referred to it as Cedarfield. It was 48-acres of woods and pasture — the Blackwoods appreciated the natural beauty of the site and placed covenants in the deed to preserve a portion of the property in its natural state. Something our residents enjoy every day.
Construction started in 1994 and on September 3, 1996, the Cedarfield doors opened to its first residents.
— Andrew McCutcheon, one of Cedarfield’s first residents, wrote The History of Cedarfield (2011).
Cheers to 20 Years, Cedarfield!
In 2016, Cedarfield had a party to celebrate our 20th Anniversary! It wasn’t just any party — it was an extraordinary celebration never before seen in our community. Culminating in 20 weeks of events spearheaded by residents, and a final party, the Cedarfield community enjoyed food trucks, a music festival, and a champagne toast to cheers for our future. Residents, their family members, invited guests, and friends came together in fellowship to enjoy the festivities. We can’t wait to do it again.
Links to Prior Anniversary Events
Visit Cedarfield today to see our gorgeous community!